Call for Entry
The Richness & Diversity of
An Exhibit by the Southern California Handweavers’ Guild
Old Town Newhall Library 24500 Main St, Santa Clarita, CA 91321
September 27th, 2018 – January 17th, 2019
The Southern California Handweavers’ Guild has a wonderful opportunity to exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library later this year. The Library was recently built and takes great strides to connect the public with local artists through their events. Our goal is to educate the public on the richness and diversity of contemporary weaving, show off our talents as weavers and increase the recognition for our Guild.
Eligibility: Open to all members of the Southern California Handweavers’ Guild.
- All weavings must be hung on the wall. The library does not use nails. There are wires suspended from the library ceiling with hooks that attach to the artwork. All weavings will need wire or loops, which are strong enough to support your weaving and attach to the hook(s).
- Maximum dimensions: 4ft wide by 5 ft. tall.
- Submission deadline: June 15th
- Every weaver may submit up to 3 weavings for consideration
- For each weaving send a separate email to SCHGExhibit@yahoo.com.
- Include the following information:
- Your Name
- Type of weaving (e.g. tapestry, plain weave, etc.)
- Attach a jpeg of the entire weaving hanging on a wall. The photo should be clear and be a good depiction of your weaving.
- Label your jpeg with your last name and the title of your piece (e.g. Smith_WovenTree.jpg
- Images should be sent uncompressed and saved at maximum image quality
Acceptance: All weavers will receive an email regarding acceptance into the exhibit by July 15th.
Curators: Nicki Bair and Karen Leckart will curate this exhibit. They will select the weavings to exhibit based on the photos and information provided by the weavers. The intent is to have an exhibit that displays the richness and diversity in contemporary weaving. They will also select the weavings that will be used for marketing by the Library as well as the Guild.
Sales: Work need not be for sale. The Library will forward any inquiries regarding your weaving to you. If a weaving is sold it must remain in the exhibit until the end of the exhibit. Neither the Library nor the Guild will take a commission on any exhibit pieces.
Insurance: The Library does provide insurance for the artwork. However, this is a public area and not monitored at all times. The room in which many of the weavings will be exhibited is used for meetings.
|Entry Deadline:||June 15th, 2018|
|Notice of Acceptance:||July 15th, 2018|
|Weaving Drop Off:||September 2018 SCHG meeting|
|Reception:||October 3rd (Wed.), 6-8pm|
|Demo & Boutique:||November 10,2018|
|Return of Art:||February 2019 SCHG meeting|
Questions? Email: 2018Exhibit@yahoo.com
Or ask one of the team members spearheading this exhibit: Carolyn Sell, Dassi Pintar, Karen Leckart, Maureen Gilchrist, Nicki Bair and Rosalie Kessing
For a printed copy of this information click here.